Friday, January 1, 2010

Pie Party 2010 / No Crust Hot Fudge Pie


















Pie Party 2010

Every New Year's Day my friends Ross and Harriet throw open their doors to a day-long parade of pies. Ross and Harriet provide a range of festive beverages; guests bring along a favorite pie to share.

The rules are few, but strictly enforced. Every arriving pie is photographed with its maker, then labeled and placed on the appropriate table (sweet versus savory). Every departing guest must take with them a generous selection of pie; ideally, there should be no leftovers.




















No Crust Hot Fudge Pie

While I normally view the pie party as an excuse to try something new, I was just too tired to go out on a limb this year. No Crust Hot Fudge Pie to the rescue! The recipe comes from a cookbook put out decades ago by my maternal grandmother's Sunday School group, the Gleaners. It's quick, easy, and calls for ingredients that you probably have in your cupboard. Some may quibble that it's not a "real" pie, but they'll eat it anyway.

My mother transcribed the recipe for me and I have to laugh every time I look at it. After "Serves 8" she has added "(theoretically)"; when she and I are involved, it serves 2.

No Crust Hot Fudge Pie

4 heaping(!) Tbs cocoa or 2 squares baking chocolate
1 stick butter
2 eggs
1c sugar
1 tsp vanilla
4 Tbs flour
1/4 tsp salt

Melt the butter and stir in the cocoa (do not boil). Allow to cool slightly. Stir in sugar and flour, then eggs, vanilla & salt. Beat until smooth, then pour into a buttered 8" pie pan. Bake at 350 for about 25 minutes, or until it passes the toothpick test.

No comments: